Profile of the INQ
The INQ's vision reflects its partners' desire and determination to develop a sustainable North based on a foundation of knowledge. To integrate scientific knowledge with that of local communities, including Aboriginal knowledge, and partner with the public and private sectors to develop the Canadian Arctic and Northern Quebec for future generations, providing clean energy, healthy ecosystems, viable infrastructures, economic prosperity, vibrant cultures, and adapted education and healthcare systems.
The INQ's mission is to keep its partners at the forefront of knowledge development and its application with respect to northern and circumpolar development.
INQ's Overall Objectives
- Create synergy between Québec's centres for northern excellence in the areas of natural sciences, health, social sciences and the humanities, and in the field of arts and culture studies.
- Assist Québec's university and college researchers and their Canadian and international partners in establishing stable, coordinated access to the territories, the seas, and the communities of Northern Québec and the Canadian Arctic
- Expand and update the knowledge and observations needed to address ecosystem questions raised by social, political, economic, and climate change in the North
- Train the next generations of researchers from both the South and the North, who will adapt the concept of sustainable development to the specific situations in Northern Québec and the Canadian Arctic
- Develop and consolidate international collaborations in Arctic research and in Northern Québec studies
- Solicit the involvement of experts on the North from universities, colleges, communities, governments, and the private sector in the research process through the transfer of knowledge and training
- Provide decision makers from government, northern and Indigenous communities, and the private sector with the knowledge and know-how to ensure the sustainable development of Northern Québec and the Canadian Arctic
- At their request, support Indigenous populations in the North in their political, economic, and social development by pooling scientific and Indigenous knowledge
- At their request, support INQ members in defining their research and development strategy and strengthening their research capacity
- Join with the private sector to develop value-added technology solutions and assess the risks of industrializing the North
- Take part in international discussions and decisions on northern and Arctic issues
- Translate our growing body of knowledge about the North into impact assessments, adaptation strategies, and national and international policies
- Ensure the social importance of research conducted by INQ researchers
- Promote concerted action by INQ members so as to focus their efforts on fulfilling the mission of Institut nordique du Québec
- Further Québec's expertise and leadership in northern sciences
Institut nordique du Québec
Vice-rectorat à la recherche et à la création
Pavillon Alexandre-Vachon, local 1036
1045, avenue de la Médecine
Université Laval, Québec (Québec)
© Copyright 2017 Institut nordique du Québec. All rights reserved.